Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
Upon successful completion of the course, students should be able to:
- accurately use a wide enough range of vocabulary to write and speak about topics of general academic interest.
- accurately use simple and complex sentence structures in writing and speaking.
- research, plan and write an essay on a topic of general academic interest.
- write well-structured essays with thesis statements and clear paragraphs with topic sentences and supporting details.
- listen for main ideas and key points in short conversations and lectures, even when the pace is fast
- employ reading strategies (skimming, scanning etc.) to understand the main ideas and key points of texts
- speak clearly and fluently about a range of general academic topics.
- use effective strategies to enhance their academic language knowledge and skills independently.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Essay: Extended essay/report researched, drafted, and written over the course of the semester, plus in-class tasks throughout the semester.||Coursework (End of Trimester)||n/a||Graded||No||
|Examination: Reading examination (end-assessment with open questions, short answer questions, and multiple-choice questions), plus mid-term assignment and tasks throughout the semester.||Throughout the Trimester||No||Graded||No||
|Presentation: Mini presentations throughout semester and final oral presentation based on research investigation undertaken through the semester.||Unspecified||n/a||Graded||No||
|Examination: Listening Examination (open questions, short-answer questions, multiple choice questions) plus in-class tasks throughout the semester.||1 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, on an activity or draft prior to summative assessment
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
• Self-assessment activities
Not yet recorded.
|Mr Ewan MacRae||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|