Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On successful completion of this module the student should be able to:
• Formulate best practice procedures for running a research room
• Demonstrate the potential of the web and social media to enhance and develop user services and widen access
• Recognise the ways in which archives can engage with communities and encourage less passive user experiences
• Be aware of the main challenges that can be encountered in the provision of access to archive collections
• Develop an awareness of the experience of using archives as a researcher
The module will cover the following broad areas: Week 1: Definitions of access and outreach, perceptions of the user; Week 2: Understanding Users and Use; Week 3 and 4: Framing Services Access Policies, Restrictions and regulations; Weeks 5 and 6: Providing Services for Users - the Research Room procedures and services; Weeks 7 and 8 : Access and outreach: developing an online presence; Weeks 9 and 10: Exhibiting Archives- physical and virtual; Weeks 11 and 12 Broadening Outreach - educational initiatives, community engagement, community archiving.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
individual feedback on the assignments is given in Brightspace. General feedback is given in class and also by appointment if requested by individual students.