Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
Upon completion of this module you will have learned an introductory base for Southeast Asian archaeology and supporting East Asian archaeology, and an understanding of how this region plays a vital role in global understandings of prehistory and history, as well as many issues in heritage and development. Through the variety of assessments you will demonstrate your ability to interrogate, synthesise, and present data and theoretical models in archaeology.Indicative Module Content:
- Southeast Asian prehistoric and historic archaeology
- aspects of East Asian prehistoric and historic archaeology
- relations with South Asia and the 'Indian Ocean World'
- relations with Australasia and Oceania
- aspects of human evolution and peopling of the region, development of 'states', trade and influence
- aspects of archaeological history and interpretative frameworks: e.g. colonialism, nationalism, regionalism, development and archaeology, archaeology's role in heritage tourism, ecotourism, community museums etc.
- aspects of ethnoarchaeology, heritage management
- what archaeology can teach us regarding climate change, biodiversity, ecosystem change, human impact and adaptation
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
|Seminar (or Webinar)||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Group Project: Group presentation: Southeast and East Aisan archaeology (topics TBA). Powerpoint presentation or video (scripted) presentation. 10 mins max (max 1000 wds script). All group members must participate.||Week 7||n/a||Graded||No||
|Assignment: Individual poster (design as A0 size, reduce to A3 size pdf for submission). Review a Southeast or East Asian archaeological site report regarding heritage aspects. Include a full bibliography.||Week 11||n/a||Graded||No||
|Essay: 2000 word essay on a topic in the prehistory of Southeast Asia. Topics TBA. Word count does not include bibliography, but this must be included. All refs must be cited.||Week 5||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
• Peer review activities
Anonymous peer review will be used for group presentation assessment - for comments only - peer comments for this assignment only will be included anonymously in the feedback. The grades for all assignments will be given by the lecturer. All other feedback will be individually given to each student for each assignment.
|Dr Stephen Davis||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12||Mon 12:00 - 13:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12||Thurs 15:00 - 15:50|