Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
On completion of this module, you should be able to:
1) recognise the range of evidence emplyed by archaeologists to reconstruct aspects of the prehistoric and historic past.
2) explain how archaeologists have used this evidence to understand specific aspects of the prehistoric and historic world.
3) outline the significance of key points in the development of human societies.
4) construct an archaeological essay, using archaeological evidence, and displaying a critical use of appropriate bibliography
Key topics will include the material evidence for:
The development of human prehistoric culture and society
The Neolithic revolution and the development of farming
Early metallurgy and the emergence of the Bronze Age
Case studies of Bronze Age civilisations across the world (these may include: Egypt, Mesopotamia, the Mediterranean, India, China)
The emergence of Greek and Roman civilisation
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Essay: 750 word review, with a set question||Week 6||n/a||Graded||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Fortnightly online MCQ test (10 questions per test)||Throughout the Trimester||n/a||Alternative linear conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Essay: 1500 wor essay (1 of 4 titles set)||Week 12||n/a||Graded||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
UCD School of Archaeology uses standard feedback sheets for all modules. Your feedback is provided on this form - the form also contains feed forward details - this will help you think about how you could improve your approach in future assignments.
|Professor Joanna Bruck||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Neil Carlin||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Ms Angela McAteer||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Meriel McClatchie||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Assoc Professor Barry Molloy||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Brendan O'Neill||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Anita Radini||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Rob Sands||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Ms Averil White||Tutor|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12||Thurs 15:00 - 15:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12||Tues 16:00 - 16:50|
|Tutorial||Offering 1||Week(s) - 3, 5, 7, 9, 11||Tues 13:00 - 13:50|
|Tutorial||Offering 2||Week(s) - 3, 5, 7, 9, 11||Tues 11:00 - 11:50|
|Tutorial||Offering 3||Week(s) - 3, 5, 7, 9, 11||Tues 13:00 - 13:50|
|Tutorial||Offering 4||Week(s) - 3, 5, 7, 9, 11||Wed 12:00 - 12:50|
|Tutorial||Offering 6||Week(s) - 3, 5, 7, 9, 11||Wed 16:00 - 16:50|