Show/hide contentOpenClose All
Curricular information is subject to change
1. Expalin the concept of a tensor over a vector space.
2. Describe the construction of the dual basis and its transformation properties.
3. Explain the concept of manifolds
4. Explain the constuction of vector and tensor fields on a manifold.
5. Describe the pull back and push forward of appropriate tensors.
6. Expalin the concept of a one-parameter family of diffeomorphisms and the Lie derivative.
7. Explain the concept of a connection and the corresponding differentiation of tensor fields.
8. Explain the concepts of parallel transport and curvature.
9. Calculate the equations of geodesic motion.
10. Compute the curvature of a manifold.
|Student Effort Type||Hours|
|Specified Learning Activities||
|Autonomous Student Learning||
Not applicable to this module.
|Description||Timing||Component Scale||% of Final Grade|
|Class Test: In class problem based tests||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Continuous Assessment: Take home assignments||Varies over the Trimester||n/a||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Examination: End of semester exam||2 hour End of Trimester Exam||No||Standard conversion grade scale 40%||No||
|Resit In||Terminal Exam|
|Spring||Yes - 2 Hour|
• Feedback individually to students, post-assessment
• Group/class feedback, post-assessment
Not yet recorded.
|Professor Adrian Ottewill||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Dr Barry Wardell||Lecturer / Co-Lecturer|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Fri 10:00 - 10:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Thurs 13:00 - 13:50|
|Lecture||Offering 1||Week(s) - Autumn: All Weeks||Tues 13:00 - 13:50|